Finished these chaps over the last few days, this now means that I have a good troops base for my daemonic allies. It also gives me a halfway decent small Age of Sigmar army…
I’m going to miss painting Nurgle minis, I still have a Forge World Chaos Marine Nurgle Sorcerer and a Renegade Knight that I hope to paint in the Grandfather’s colours, but I think I should concentrate on my millions of half-finished projects currently residing in the Drawer of Shame😉
I love simple paint schemes! This chap only took me five hours or so to paint.
This model forms the effective start of a small Nurgle contingent for use with my main Heralds of Desolation Chaos Space Marine army. I’m still working out the details but my plan is for this warband to be significantly older than the Heralds, so much so that whatever livery they possessed has long since decayed away.
Next up should be some Plaguebearers and a CSM Nurgle Sorcerer.
Keeping with my Nurgle force, I decided to adapt the Betrayal at Calth plastic Contemptor for the service of all things icky.
The only real difficulties, if you could call them that, we’re shaving off the Corpse-God’s iconography and cutting out the sculpted helmet so that I could put in the Aspiring Champion’s one from the Chaos Marine box.
The icon on the chest is a wet green stuff (two parts yellow to one part blue) cast of the Nurgle icon from the Chaos Vehicle sprue. I elected to use a sculp as wet green stuff is very pliable, unlike the plastic original. I used BluStuff to make the cast, if you haven’t tried it yet I strongly suggest you do, it’s awesome!
I dotted some green stuff boils here and there so I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to start painting as I’m sure it’ll take some time to properly cute in this accursed heat.
It’s so good to both build and finish a model that’s been sitting on the shelf for a while, therefore I am very happy to present my interpretation of Typhus, the Herald of Nurgle.
This model was an absolute joy to paint, so much so that my next project is going to be a Nurglefied Contemptor Dreadnought from the Betrayal at Calth box. You might notice that I didn’t include the Nurgling that goes on the base, I thought about putting the little guy on, but I don’t really like the older Nurgling design and all my plastic ones are reserved for a far bigger project…
Well, it’s certainly been a while, but there’s a very good reason for that. It was my birthday near the beginning of June and with some of the Hobby Money gifted, I decided to pick up a copy of Imperial Knight Renegade (available from Element Games for £99.99) and I got to work. Here’s the first completed unit.
House Orpheo is a home brew Knight House which is void-based due to reasons I’ll detail in a separate article. That piece will also reveal why their Knights ensue heraldic markings (well, I had to come up with some kind of excuse…), I hope to have it up within a week or so.
As for the other Knight from the box, that’s going to be a Nurgle-aligned monstrosity which I’ll start on soon.
Finished these gents yesterday, it’s the first Command Squad I’ve painted in many a year and I have to say I had a blast getting them ready. The picture’s somewhat crappy as I was dealing with far from ideal lighting conditions today so if I can find the time I’ll give it another attempt in the near future.
Next up for my guard is to strip and repaint a few more infantry squads and heavy weapons teams. I think I’ll repaint one unit for every two of three fresh projects I complete. Next up for me is Typhus and a Knight or two🙂
I’m participating in a doubles tournament tomorrow and I though that I’d dust off my old
Imperial Guard Astra Militarum for the occasion, especially after painting the Wyvern last month.
I’ve not used my guard in a very long time, so long in fact that aside from the Wyvern a Commissar, and a restored tank or two, I’ve not painted anything for these chaps since around 2010/11. After looking at the hordes of infantry I painted since returning to the hobby in 2009, I realised that it would be nice to challenge to paint a fresh squad for the event, mainly to see how far I’d come as a painter. Here’s the result.
I kept the scheme as close as I could to my original models however this time I deliberately used nothing but the current range of Citadel paints (with the honourable exception of my venerable pot of Snakebite Leather). I also decided for the first time ever to attempt some freehand painting as thus far my guardsmen didn’t have platoon and squad identifiers.
Now, compare this against the squad below from 2009.
As you can see, I’ve got a bit better. In particular I’m confident enough to attempt to paint the smaller sculpted details such as eyes and insignia.
While I am tempted to strip and repaint my two older platoons, I think I’ll attempt to tidy up and provide unit marks for now. When I have time😉